Nikolaihof is one of the oldest wine estates in Austria. The first wines were made here as early as 470 AD, 6 years before the last Roman Emperor in the west was overthrown. Not many other wineries can say that their cellar was originally a Roman crypt. The estate was purchased by the Saah family in 1894. Sadly the estate was confiscated by the Wehrmacht in 1938, and then occupied by the Russians until 1956. The family was able to regain ownership of the winery in 1960. Today the estate consists of 20 hectares of biodynamically farmed vineyards. The family were actually practicing biodynamic viticulture long before fellow Austriran Rudolf Steiner even coined the term. Their vines see absolutely no chemicals or synthetic interventions. Widely hailed as one of the greatest white wine producers in the world, Nikolaihof is helmed by Nikolaus Saahs, who took over from his parents in 2005.