The history of Château de Montfaucon starts in the 11th century with the construction of the castles first tower. Strategically positioned on the Rhône river, the castle was expanded throughout the middle ages. The title of Baron to Montfaucon was given to the owners of the castle by the French king in the 1400s, the Laudun family. It was during the 1500’s that the first wine making facilities appeared. Damaged during the religious wars of the 1600’s, the castle was acquired by Joseph Gabriel de Pertuis in 1766. Passed down through the generations, it was eventually handed over to Rodolphe de Pins in 1995. Pins, a graduate of UC Davis in California, had previously worked for Henschke in Barossa and Vieux Telegraphe in Châteauneuf du Pape.
This is a fruity, youthful, and easy drinking wine. Bright in the glass, the nose leads with notes of candy Nibs, strawberry, and blood orange. A slight meatiness adds aromas of anise and bay leaf. Medium bodied with approachable tannins, the palate pleases with flavours of cherry, mirabelle, and dried herbs.